all about your pretties and pennies and home

Monday, February 24, 2014

more ways to save on groceries

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I'm working a lot more now so posts may be few and far between! Last night, I sat down and made out a monthly meal plan for the first time since beginning working so much, and I have to say, it feels so great. I don't know if I can go back to not meal planning. Along with the meal plan I made out a grocery list. I want to share with you some new ways I've started using to save on groceries.



1. conscious box Sorry, the link is not wanting to work for me. But anyway. A friend told me about this subscription service and she really loves it. My first box is currently on its way to my house. She said her last box had some teas, sunscreen, and several other things. This is a way she exposes herself to things we might never learn about, living in the boondocks and all. I thought it would be a good way to encorporate some more healthful products. Since my grocery budget includes household items, this is perfect for us. I chose to subscribe on a month-by-month basis, so it will be $19.95 every month.

2. amazon subscribe & save I am so excited to try this! So basically, certain items on Amazon are eligible to be in the subscribe & save program. You can choose to receive the item anywhere from every month to every 6 months. You get a 5% discount on these items. And if you choose 5 subscription items in any one month, you get a 15% discount. Yay!

3. I took my grocery budget, which is $200, and subtracted $20 for conscious box and the price of the items I subscribed to on Amazon. I ended up with $157 left for the month. I already had my completed grocery list so I ended up dividing the remainder of my budget among the categories of groceries. $55 for meat, $40 for dairy (2 gallons of milk a week - it's actually an improvement from a year ago), etc. Within the general categories like the ones I just mentioned, I broke down the money even more. $10 for butter. Obviously that will be a lot of butter, so it will enable me to stock up.

Nothing super fancy here, but I felt really good about my plan for March groceries, and I wanted to share with you how I did it. Hope it helps :)

No comments:

Post a Comment