all about your pretties and pennies and home
Friday, May 2, 2014
why foster?
Because God called us to. I could end this post here -- but I know there are people reading this who won't believe that. So I'll explain a little further.
We had talked about this possibility as being way in the future, and every time we mentioned it, we were only met with "that would be so hard, are you sure you can do it?" Now that we've decided to move forward sooner rather than later, the only response we've gotten is, "that's so exciting! You guys will be great at that!" Those responses are confirmation for us. There's a song on Christian radio and the guy is talking about all that's bad in the world. He says, "God, why don't You do something?" and God responds, "I did. I created you." While this song didn't play into our decision at all, I think it's perfect for this situation (and many others, obviously). If every person thought that fostering would be too hard, where would those kids end up? Jake and I have a home that is small by our culture's standards but huge compared to most of the rest of the world's. We have a strong, loving marriage. Our hearts want children. We have room and love enough to share. These kids need a safe home and loving family. That equation simply adds up. As Christians there are two specific groups of people we are called to care for in addition to the general "least of these" (any less fortunate): widows and orphans. Though foster children aren't technically orphans, they are, at this point in their lives, without parents. It just makes sense to us that this is something we could be called to do simply because we are Christians, but Jake and I definitely are called to do it because we are available. And God placed it on our hearts. And that right there is as much explanation as I can give.
Will we want to adopt them? Of course. Will we? If that becomes an option. What if it doesn't? We will provide for them a loving home for however long they are with us, and we will encourage their birth families along their journey toward rehabilitation. Does this mean we've "given up" on having "our own" babies? Absolutely not. Fostering and birthing are not mutually exclusive commitments. For all we know, we may never have biological children, or we may get three foster kids in our home and I get pregnant and all three of the others become available for adoption. And what then? Well, we'll have four kids! If God called us to do this (and He did), He will provide -- financially, physically, and emotionally.
That's about all I can think of to tell you. We would LOVE to hear and answer any questions you may have. So fire away :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment